Parent Resources & Activities While You're Home
Hello CCHAT Families,
We are extremely proud of the phenomenal job our DHH teachers, SLPs, audiologists and support staff are doing to provide distance-learning opportunities for the CCHAT students. The staff continues to be here for you “virtually,” so please reach out if you need support.
We know many of you are disconnected from the networks providing you with social, emotional and financial support. Please let us know if your family is in need of any essentials - food, diapers, hearing aid/cochlear implant batteries, etc. There are individuals in our community who are willing to provide these items to help keep the CCHAT family safe and healthy.
Thank you for your kindness, flexibility and grace as we navigate through these uncertain times. We commit to doing our absolute best to care for our families, staff and students during this Global Health crisis.
— Laura Covello
Outside Resources To Help & Entertain
Being restricted to one place for an unspecified amount of time can be tough - but together with our students and their parents, we’ve put together this list of outside resources for you to use.
There’s a mix of educational videos and tasks to keep you and the young ones entertained and still learning throughout their time at home. There are also virtual field trips you can go on with your child(ren) to let them experience a different part of the world from the comfort of your own home.
We’ve also included some links to DIY kids’ projects and arts and crafts videos to keep your little ones entertained if you’re also juggling your typical work day from home.
- MommySpeechTherapy.com - A collection of tutorials and downloads for speech therapy ideas at home
- Over 30 Virtual Field Trips - Virtual trips including the Great Wall of China and the San Diego Zoo
- 150+ Enrichment Activities for Children While Parents are Working Remotely
- Daily Home Schedule from blasbehavioral - Includes learning, craft and game ideas
- Good Housekeeping - 50 DIY projects for kids
- Free Parent and Teacher Resources - Resources available for parents and teachers on the internet
- Scholastic "Learn at Home" - With day-by-day projects for children from Pre-K to grade 6.
- The Spanish Experiment - Well-known children's stories translated into Spanish
- Hearing First on Facebook - At-home activities for kids with LSL emphasis
- FunBrain.com - Free online games for kids that cover the topics of vocabulary, grammar, reading and math
- Fred Rogers Productions - Daily activities, crafts and recipes to keep your child entertained.
- Reading Rainbow Live - Keep your child on top of their reading
- SMUD parent resources - Fun, energy-focused activities while you’re studying at home
- Virtual Disneyland - No need for a Fastpass with these virtual Disneyland rides
- Audible - Listen to all your favorite books with Audible
- Stories read by astronauts - Get a story told to you from space!
- Children’s stories in Spanish - To help keep on top of their Spanish skills
- Science Mom - Helping kids explore science with fun hands-on experiments
- Virtual Field Trips - The perfect trip when you’re not allowed to go very far
- Enrichment Activities - The perfect activities for you and your child while you’re working remotely
- Livestream Doodles - Watch Mo Willems host live doodles every day!
- DIY Reusable Face Mask - For the deaf and hard of hearing
Do you have any other great resources? Fill out the form below to submit it so we can grow our list!
If you’re ordering things online over the course of this pandemic, please keep us in mind the next time you’re placing an Amazon order.
Consider using Amazon Smile which will donate a portion of your purchase to CCHAT while you’re stocking up on supplies for your household.
Our Zoom Classroom
COVID-19 won’t keep us from connecting with our CCHAT students and families!
The CCHAT staff continues to find creative ways to support listening and spoken language growth from long distance.
Just because we have to social distance doesn’t mean we have to stop learning and developing our skills.
We’re grateful for the hearing assistive technology that gives our students access to sound. They’re able to use interactive technology helping them feel closer to one another and keeps them learning - even over Zoom.
Together, we won’t stop learning and developing our listening and spoken language.
CCHAT Staff Chats
Our teachers have been posting loads of videos on Facebook of them reading stories, teaching crafts and so much more.
If you’d like to check out some of these videos we have a couple linked below or you can follow the hashtag #CCHATLearnsAtHome on Facebook.
Virtual Spirit Week 2020
Our Spirit Week still went ahead online and we all had a blast together.
Check out all our photos from the event to see all the amazing things we did, including pajama day, crazy hair day and so much more!
Stay Up to Date with CCHAT
If you need additional information on COVID-19 and what CCHAT is doing in response to the outbreak, you can check out our information page for all the latest updates and news.